Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

George slept pretty well; I’m still having a hard time staying asleep. I’ll sleep a couple of hours & lay awake the rest of the night. I ended up choreographing a dance routine in my head. This morning, I’m paying the price. I made myself get up at 9:30am (3:30 US time) so I could get some breakfast & make a couple of sandwiches for lunch. I don’t plan on going anywhere today. After all that walking yesterday & all the walking I’ll be doing tomorrow, I figured I would just do my workout today, get some e-mails out & rest up some. For tonight will be yet another adventure in finding a place for dinner!

Since I had planned on staying in my room for the day, I still wanted housekeeping to do her usual thing. Of course, she didn’t speak a word of English & I was trying to convey to her that it was okay for her to do her work while I was in the room. It probably took us a good 10 minutes to try to figure out what the other was saying. We were both looking in my little book trying to find the right words to communicate with each other. It was pretty funny & we were both laughing by the time we finished. Very nice woman & I found out her name is Anna. I even got an extra pillow out of the deal!

School for George was still pretty much the same . . . not quite understanding the instructor’s broken English & not following any kind of curriculum or even the manual. George said the guy knows his stuff, but just can’t explain it in English. Go figure! Today’s lunch cuisine was a little different – some fatty salami, white rice w/peas & some sort of unidentifiable round things, a banana & don’t forget that mozzarella ball! Ooh, & a NEW item . . . a box of red wine! It looks like a juice box, but it has red wine in it instead! How VERY Italian! :p

Mike joined us for dinner again at the invite of both of us. I know he feels like a third wheel, but we can’t have the guy eating by himself in a foreign country. Being the adventurer of the group, I had the 3 of us venture out on a quest to find a nice place to eat. The 2 of them probably would’ve eaten at McDonald’s. Yes, they have a McD’s here, but I didn’t come all the way to Italy to eat there or at one of the Chinese restaurants or one of the many Indian places they have here. We finally came across a place called Nastro Azzuro that had a menu subtitled in English & . . . get this, an oriental, Italian speaking waitress that spoke very good English! The menu had quite a variety on it too. So guess where we’re going the rest of the week? And talk about timing, they close for the month of August after Friday, which happens to be our last day in Italy. We leave, Saturday morning. Boy did we luck out!

Oh, I almost forgot! Now this is a big MIGHT. They guys may not have school Friday because they've been covering a lot of material this week. So . . . George and I MAY have the day free & go to Venice!!!! We'll see, we'll see, but keep your fingers crossed!!!

Now to hope for clear skies tomorrow & then I should really have something to report.

No comments: