Friday, August 10, 2007

Friday, August 10, 2007

Our last day here! I know George is ready to go home. This wasn’t exactly a vacation or even much of a pleasurable trip for him. And I think I’ve seen just about all there is to see in Bologna – at least on the main strip. There are still lots of side streets that have yet to be explored, but something I’m smart enough not to do by myself.

Thinking yesterday was my last day, I had pretty much done all my exploring, so there wasn’t much for me to do today except find some sort of cookie my Mom had asked for with only a description of white on the outside & thin. Thanks Mom! Armed with that description, no clue where to go & a language barrier, I set off on my mission. I stopped at every bakery & grocery like store along the strip. Nothing remotely fit the description. I finally came upon one small shop & the woman actually spoke English! She didn’t even recognize the description. So Mom, we settled on . . . well, you’ll see when I get home.

Again, it was a nice morning for a walk . . . low 70s, low humidity. And I even managed to get across the streets without wiping out this time. I did venture onto one of the side streets, but a rather busy one, so I wasn’t in a remote place. I did find a museum, but wasn’t able to appreciate it because I didn’t know the history of what I was looking at & the plaques, of course, were all in Italian. Further down the strip were more shops. These people love their clothes & shoes. So if anyone is ever interested in going on a shopping vacation – Bologna is one of the places to go!

I’ve seen a lot of people riding old bikes, mopeds & quite a few people take the bus. A lot of people walk from place to place though, which makes getting through some of the narrow sidewalks a bit challenging. All ages are out at different times of day from elderly woman plugging along with their little pull carts to the fast moving young man or woman maneuvering through the crowds with ease. A lot of people with their dogs too, but I haven’t seen a single cat. So what does THAT mean? Be careful of mystery meat? EEEOOO!

George got back his usual time & said the day was mostly review. The instructor did take the guys to a nice restaurant & they had tortellini. At least ONE of us was able to have Bologna’s specialty. They also did a little bit of sight seeing & went to Bologna’s version of the Golden Gate Bridge – a very small version. George said it was only big enough for one of their small cars to cross at a time with about 6” to spare on each side.

We went out to dinner – just the 2 of us this time. Mike needed to do some much needed shopping to bring home souvenirs for his family. It was our last night & George & I made the most of it. We even had a liter of red wine. He usually doesn’t drink wine, but the Italian red wine seems to agree with him. Also, the restaurant we’ve been going to is called La Bella Napoli, but they had the Nastro Azzurro sign out front as well which is an Italian beer they serve on draft. Pretty good stuff too!

Afterwards, we were feeling pretty good from drinking so much wine & decided to head out to the Fontana del Nettuno. Wasn’t as crowded as we thought it would be for a Friday night – about the same amount of people as usual. We walked off our dinner AND our wine & made it back to the hotel. Tomorrow will be a long day. Our flight leaves at 12:10 pm (Bologna time) & we should be arriving in Norfolk around 11:08pm (Norfolk time) . . . you do the math.

It’s been a wonderful experience & I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Next time, I’ll need to bring a friend to share this with while George gets more training. Any takers?!

Before I forget, I did get to post a few pictures on another forum. Check ‘em out . . .

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=45109

Thanks for sharing my adventure with me. Wish you could’ve been here!

No comments: